Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Birthday to me and New York Daze

There is so much to be said for the days that have passed since we returned from Brazil...

I am still unemployed, and have seen little action on the matter. Although, if I were to be completely transparent, then I would admit the discouragement I have had in pressing on. There seems to be no way to get ahead in these days. I have experienced failed attempts at trying to contact employers personally, and I have been turned away upon paying a visit the office of a potential employer. I have been encouraged to go back to my computer and answer the craigslist adds. "It's the best way," I've been told. "I assure you, every candidate is being looked at and considered." But this isn't really true, is it? By not accepting my handshake and acknowledging the character and personality I've come to display, I am thrown back into the pool of resumes. My words against everyone else's. And so I am chained in front of my computer, where I browse a selection of job postings from anonymous posters asking for all my personal information and samples of my work, without giving anything in return. I do not doubt my resume or my portfolio...and I've gotten darn good at writing a witty cover letter. I am frustrated that I sit in front of this computer screen, this window into the world "out there," and get no human contact from it; no relationship; no progress. I'm not getting anywhere...

Consequently, the blog has not been so inviting. But I'm done sulking. I have so much to be thankful for and so many joys to share and "plug in" here for memories' sake. Playing catch up is not so much fun, so I won't really attempt it. But of considerable mention is that this blog has celebrated it's first birthday during the time I've been in hiding. I began recording our life here on my 25th birthday last year and another year has emerged. Things being as they are, I felt like celebrating under the radar this year. Dan was so wonderful to gather our close friends we have met through deep Bible study for brunch on the most beautiful spring Saturday in the West Village.

So, here I am: 26 years young; challenged, but undefeated; exploring passions and enjoying home; trying to figure it all out. Aren't we all?!




Loved and surrounded by friends, another year of our city life continues...

No comments: