Monday, December 14, 2009

Its always better with Mom

Mom arrived on Wednesday and helped to make the days fly. She showed up outside my office on Broadway just as the workday ended and we didn't miss a minute of shopping. We skipped right over to Bloomingdales where I finally splurged on (or rather invested in) a pair of Hunter rainboots. The rain had come down so hard Wednesday morning that my feet were soaked through once I got to work. I'd had enough. As Mom said, "these are your snow tires." We went home to Brooklyn and enjoyed dinner at No. 7 with Dan. Yummers...delicious food and really cute atmosphere. We'll be going back.

Thursday, Mom shopped in Soho while I worked. We enjoyed lunch at The Corner Cafe and Thursday evening we were cozy at home. I made "Lax Pudding", a Swedish salmon dish layered with potatoes, onions, dill and zicchini squash.

Friday was cooooold. Mom came to shop in Soho again but it was too cold! We went to the Swedish church for lunch. Makor med levarpaste och gurka, kaffe och kanel bulle! Mmmmm...Then Mom headed home to rest and escape the cold while I finished up in the office. Friday night we had a nice dinner at Cafe e Vino. So cozy!

Saturday was a big day. The morning started off with my final marathon qualifier! A 4-mile race in Prospect Park. I was scheduled to run 8 miles in preparation for next week's 15K so I got there early and ran the race course once before the gun. Mom and Dan didn't make it to the finish on time to see me cross (I'm too speedy and they got lost) but they made it to be there to celebrate with me afterward at least. After the race it was off to the Fort Greene farmer's market. Mom bought fresh garlic and whipped honey to take home. Then we made a delicious brunch at home and napped. In the evening we dropped by the Union Square holiday market before going to the event of the weekend: Lucia, a Swedish holiday celebrating the light coming into the darkness. The service put on by the Swedish Church was beautiful and the dinner we enjoyed at AQ Kafe beforehand was delicious. Pickled herring, smoked and cured salmon, meatballs...just like home.

Sunday we slept in (a little later than expected, but I guess my body needed the recovery after Saturday's run). Mom had already been out for a walk and bought us fresh roses, brewed coffee and enjoyed breakfast by the time we emerged from our bedroom. We hung out in PJ's all morning and Dan picked up bagels to eat for lunch. Sunday was another rainy day. Mom and I headed into the city to pick up some last little things on her list while Dan stayed home to rest. The poor guy is coming down with a cold. Mom wanted to cook us all dinner and we had no complaints, so I took her to the butcher where she bought fresh porkchops and other fixings. We arrived home, soaked to the bone from the rain and decided church wouldn't be the best idea, as Dan would have to venture out into the soggy weather. We enjoyed the warmth of the house while Mom prepaired the feast, drinking wine and listening to Christmas music.

I miss her already, but it is so helpful knowing that just a week from tomorrow I'll be home in her house. I will have closed the door to my office, never to return again. I can finally release the tension, deal with the sadness in the company of family at home, and come back refreshed and ready to start a new stage of life. Thanks, Mom, for helping the time pass and making everything feel okay for a few days. See you soon.

2 comments:

RU said...

I'm so glad you had a good visit with Mum :) Nice to have a break from the blues and have some comfort come to you! Yeah for traveling moms!!

Matilda Heinemo said...

Mysigt att ha mamma där på besök! Ni verkar ha haft jättebra dagar med Lucia och hemmamys! Jag längtar också hem nu till familjen, ska verkligen bli skönt att spendera tid hemma med dom och bara ta det lugnt. Måste kännas konstigt för dig att veta att du inte kommer tillbaka till jobbet mer, men som du skriver så är det ju lättare att "deala" med det hela när det är över och du har slutat där på riktigt. Hälsa hela din familj från mig God jul och Gott nytt år! Kramar!