Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reaching New Strides

I'm back on my legs again after almost a week of rest for the old hammie. It truly feels great. Monday morning I took a mile jog in Fort Greene Park with a good long stretch session at the top of the hill afterward. The morning air is starting to turn crisp here and I am LOVING it. Great motivation for running. I was back in the gym under the inverted leg press on Tuesday and some light single hamstring curls to wake it up again.

I've decided to set my goals for the rest of the year for Marathon qualification. I will be volunteering at the Norwegian Festival on Saturday morning, October 3rd. I then have just 3 races left this year. I am scheduling four or five just to be safe. They include:

October 25: Poland Spring 5M
November 22: Race to Deliver 4M
December 6: Joe Kleinerman 10K
December 12: Holiday 5K (just for fun :)

and culminating in a new distance for me

December 19: Ted Corbitt 15K!! (this will be a cold one!)

I have mapped out a training schedule for the 15K so that the races before hand fit in to my longer runs. I'm really excited that I only have 3 races left to qualify. The 15K is a crucial distance for me because it lies in between the traditional 10K and half marathon distances. With the 15K to finish out the year, I'll really feel confident in my ability to work up to a challenging distance so I can conquer both a half and a full marathon next year. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

RU said...

You can do it no problem :) It's all about persistent training and having a solid base (which you are working on)....
I have no doubt you will do great in the long distance- just pace yourself and don't go out of the gate too fast.
You still going to run a segment of the ING this year with me?