Friday, September 11, 2009

Pulled Hamstring

OUCH! I suppose injury is bound to happen at some point. I've been training consistently for a month now at the gym in preparation for marathon training next year. I'm focusing on building strength and flexibility in my legs as well as strength in my core. After a rough leg session with my trainer on Tuesday, I went to a stretching class on Wednesday where I recieved some one-on-one attention from an instructor. He definately stretched me a little bit beyond what I was capable of and I woke up Thursday morning with a terrible cramp in my ham string which only got worse throughout the day. Yesterday, I iced throughout the afternoon/evening and slept with my legs bent so as to relax the muscle as much as possible. Thankfully, today it feels much better. I will continue to rest it until it feels well enough to ease back into a jog when I'll focus on keeping the muscle warmed and work on stretching it back out again. I'm trying not to get frustrated but I feel like I'm undoing all the progress I've made so far this month. But rest is important too. I'm glad to be experiencing these things now so I know my limits when it comes time for marathon training. I am learning a lot in my workouts and really having fun with it. My gym is great and has so many resources! I'm glad I went with NYSC. Even though their atmosphere may not be the greatest, their service is wonderfully motivating.

1 comment:

RU said...

sorry to hear about your hamstring pull :( those are no fun and take a while to heal. Better to learn your limits now in advance of the race than to find out "in season" though! Keep up the good work.
Miss you, friend.