Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 1: Half Marathon Training

:::30 degrees outside:::

Today is a day that I normally wouldn't even set foot outside, and wouldn't you know it's the first official day of Half Marathon training. OH BUUUURRRRR! It did NOT feel good to run today. When it's this cold outside and you can't breathe it can really steal the joy of a good run. I suppose this brings out the importance of goal setting. If it weren't for the goal, I wouldn't go out and run until April...maybe May. Perhaps I will not be so against treadmill running this season and get my money's worth out of that gym membership...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Annika darling,

I MUST say I wholeheartedly disagree with your aversion to winter running. Especially when it's sunny, I've found that winter is a GREAT time to run! :) I might have been in your camp last winter (first winter to try to run outside), but this winter, my favorite runs have been when the temps hit the 20's or upper teens. As long as you wear the right clothes, you should be nice and toasty :) You don't have to worry about overheating, and it's particularly peaceful.

The snow and ice does add a degree of difficulty, however...but nothing beats running in light snow cover!

Last winter I hardly left the treadmill, and this year I can't make myself get back on one! This has been a problem though and I just need to suck it up.

Stick with it! You'll learn to love it, I think...

Good luck with training! You'll do great!

Annika said...

Thanks, Laura!

I've actually gone backwards! I have always loved winter training up until this year. Not sure what it is...but don't worry, I haven't hit the treadmill yet! Still forcing myself to go outside. Happy Running!